How to Botch Trial Software
October 26, 2010 Leave a comment
How to botch trial software:
- Insist on offering the Windows version even though the user is on Mac.
- Forget to put a link to the Mac version of the software on the download page.
- Require Java to be present and running in the browser but forget to put up a warning when it is not.
- Have a System Preferences pane with a product logo and single button which says “Uninstall …” but which does nothing when clicked.
- Force the user to use the Activity Monitor to kill off the running product (which failed to be stopped by the “Uninstall …” button.
- Finally force the user to have to manually remove the software from the various system folders.