Upgrading Apple TV
December 14, 2007 1 Comment
Recently I upgraded the hard drive in my AppleTV from 40GB to 160GB. The process was not entirely painless but in the end I managed to do it.
The simplest way to do this is as follows:
- Make a disk image of the Apple TV drive using dd.
- Write that disk image onto the new drive using dd.
- Unmount the drive using diskutil.
- Using gpt, delete the fourth partition (the Media partition) on the new drive.
- Unmount the drive using diskutil (again).
- Connect the new drive to the AppleTV, start it up
- Do a factory restore which will format the Media partition.
- You are good to go.
You can pick up all the commands from the various pages I point to, but if there is interest, I will post detailed step-by-step instructions.